Friday, October 10, 2008

Organic Coffee Thoughts :)

Sipping my organic green mountain coffee with soy milk and stevia...I began to think what a lovely fall day this would be.   The morning started out simply with me crocheting and Alex reading aloud from her Junie B. Jones book.  (She is an excellent reader and I enjoy these moments so much!)

Soon she finished her book and was looking at me with my needle in hand and I knew it was time.  I grabbed some left over yarn and began to teach her.  I've done this before, but she was very young and couldn't remember the process.

I tried skipping the basics so she could get right to the fun stuff and realized, like all things, without a proper foundation...nothing created would be very good.  I found myself saying the words my Nanny shared with me at the age of twelve.  "You hold the needle like this and you start the chain like this and when you can create perfectly even loops...I'll teach you more." :D

I had chained my heart out for hours one end (or so it seemed), with my 13 year old brother beside me.  Alex asked, "Boys can crochet?" and I replied, "Boys can do anything girls can do and vice versa."  I began to secretly wonder if my brother has ever picked up a crochet hook again.  I stifled the laugh. :)  

She looked up at the clock and said, "Mom, I wish I could stay here and crochet with you all day."  My heart melted and I realized what a blessing living each day is.  What a joy it is to see her little hands doing what I watched my Nanny do for years.  Third generation Crocheters!  :D  God is Good.  Life is Good.  No matter what the news reports.  God bless you and yours.  Much love.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

That's awesome Shel. Also, you are right about the news - I never watch the nightly news anymore because all they show are sensational stories to make you watch... anyway. :) -JC

Meghan said...

Tell Alex that boys CAN crochet, just not many do. A boy made a scarf for me as a Christmas present about 6 or 7 years ago. It surprised me that a boy knew how to do that, and I did not (and still dont. haha)

Ray and Dodi's Place said...

How wonderful Shel. I will be sure to ask RC if he has picked up the crochet hook since that event. I am so glad to see it being passed down, never to be forgotten. I must say Shel you do nanny proud with your crochet and knitting work. (SMILE)
Love always,
Mom xoxoxoxoxoxox

Tasha Lehman said...

What great memories to pass on and remember all at the same time!

Jeremy said...

I love it! What a great gift to pass on. And yes...boys can crochet! Ian is always interested when he sees me doing it and insists on grabbing a hook and yarn to try for himself. I just hope he's still interested when he's old enough to understand it all. :-)