Monday, September 8, 2008

Waking The Dead by: John Eldredge

Just finished reading: Waking The Dead by: John Eldredge

I have to say I am unsure when I have read a book full of so much wisdom.  It was truly amazing, insightful and helped me understand why some things happen as they do.   I found myself looking things up in my Bible, highlighting things I needed to reread and praying in new ways.  It's just full of wisdom, wisdom, wisdom!  I highly recommend this read.  Enjoy! :)

***Page 218...It works like this: hyenas cannot bring down a lion in its prime.  What they do is run it and taunt it and wear it down to the point of exhaustion.  Once they see it cannot defend itself, then they close in.  The strategy of our Enemy in the age we live in now is busyness or drivenness.  Ask the people you know how things are going.  Nine out of ten will answer something to the effect of "really busy."  Every time I call another ministry I get voice mail.  "They're busy right now, can I put you into voice mail?"  The deadly scheme is this: keep them running.  That way, they'll never take care of their hearts.  We'll burn them out and take them out.  I don't want to be taken out.  Others are counting on me.  I must care for my heart as my first line of defense....

Just an excellent book!

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

Sounds like a great book!

Adam and Raechell said...

It's so great...at least for me in this season of my life. I just loved it. I actually had to put it down...pick up the Bible...read the reference... ponder, apply the knowledge...it was good!
Also, if you are at all a movie buff...which we are here...he uses movies as examples. :) It just really spoke to me. Adam and I have had great discussions from these last two books.

Jeremy said...

What was it about? -JC

Adam and Raechell said...

Waking up to really living. That Christ came to share the "Good News," not to give us a list of moral values with which to judge one another with. That living by the law is confining, but living in God's presence and grace are liberating! To release old bad agreements and make good Godly ones to move forward in your life. That as Christ had the twelve and set the example we should all have a close group of friends that speak into our lives because they know us intimately. A Daily Prayer for Freedom. Ummmmm....just to mention a few thoughts. :p LOL It was very, very good and I highly recommend it.

The point isn't to be perfect, but to just embrace God, freedom and life...and to live more abundantly!