Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pre-Teen Reading Ideas

Last week I had a moment to speak with each of Sammie's teachers during the parent/teacher conference time at her school.  Boy, Jr High is so different from elementary.  Instead of going to one room and meeting one teacher, I went to the gymnasium and met many!  It was fun, enlightening and made me as a mom wonder how I can better help my daughter excel.

 Her English teacher said that she could have gone from honors to high honors by simply earning 4 more points in reading.  That means one book more a marking period. 

We went to the school library and I realized right away what Sammie's problem was, she doesn't enjoy the subjects that most of the other children do right now.  

I presented this knowledge to Adam and asked what he thought I could do to encourage her and this was his suggestion, "Let her read the classics."  

She currently has 3 new classics on her dresser: 1) A Christmas Carol, The Chimes & The Cricket On The Hearth by: Charles Dickens
                                                                                      2) The Prince and the Pauper by: Mark Twain
                                                                                      3) Treasure Island  by Robert Louis Stevenson

She and I are very excited about starting them together.   :)

4 comments:

Tasha Lehman said...

Treasure Island is a great book! What fun to share the classics with your super-smart daughter!

Jeremy said...

Great job Sam! I'm so excited that she gets to read these books now. My small private school decided those type of books (you know.. the CLASSICS) weren't that important to read. That's why I'm spending my adult life catching up on them! LOL Hope you enjoy them!

Jeremy said...

Adam told her to read the classics? I love my brother, but I would love to hear which "classics" besides Star Wars that he has ever read... and don't count the comic-book version of Moby Dick. :) -JC

Adam and Raechell said...

LOL~ Jeremy, you would not believe how many he has read! :O He listed them off for me and chose the first ones for Sam based on his memory of each. He's a man who is full of surprises. LOL I know, I know...after all these years...I was shocked too! (I haven't read nearly as many of them.)